Friday, October 13, 2006

Fear

I sat on the rusted bench next to the bright yellow board with black paint, declaring its presence to me, asking me to look at it. I gazed at the wooden planks that bore the signs of punishment. They wanted to move, but they couldn't. Nearby, I could hear a tap coming to life after a few choked coughs. I licked my dry lips as I stood up and walked towards it. That's when I saw her. Three benches away, in the distance,Tall, slender. She held a small bag tightly to her chest, clenching it harder than a mother would've held her newborn. I watched in silence as she rested her chin on it. I forgot my thirst, for water couldn't quench it anymore. I decided to check out the books at the stall just to take a closer look at her. The floor where her feet graced the earth was wet with drops of water, yes, the salty one. I looked at her skin for scars of life. She had been beaten, said her nape to me. I slowly walked towards her and stood by her side. Her blank wide eyes stared at the 2 rails separated by rocks. Before I could speak, she turned to me and said "I fear reaching late just like u fear reaching early. I fear the gap between the train and the platform."


No comments: