Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Orange dust,Silicon and Asphalt

4:14 pm (IST), a 500 ml coke bottle that I carry everyday is filled up to the brim with water. The dusty table flaunts concentric shiny circles making it evident how some ceramic with tea/coffee had rested on it a few days back. The sleek black computer cabinet stands like a dummy with a blue LED being the only sign of life! A torn up packet of biscuits rests under the monitor. Just behind the monitor is the window that faces another office. I am sitting on the chair of a fired employee. An uneasy feeling creeps up every time I touch ‘her’ keyboard.

I take a look around and see sharply dressed clones gazing endlessly at their bright computer screens. I’m the only one who’s dressed in casuals, every single day. I miss the laptop which had near about 1000 of my favourite songs. It’s dull here. It’s like a one night stand, where the next morning is worse than the night before.

The only time when I’m happy is when I pay the 18 rupee toll at the DND and fly into infinitum . It looks eerie and distant yet beautiful at night. Before stepping back into the city traffic, I breathe as much as I can.

Its 7 pm. Everyone’s about to leave. Life waits for me a kilometer away and I don’t wish to be late.

No comments: